Wednesday, December 31, 2008
- I am still unemployed and actually going to apply for an unemployment extension. I'm really grateful for the money but I could be making so much more if I was working. Most importantly I"m booooooooooored. I think I've applied for about 100000 jobs. Not many interviews. sigh.
- I have an opinion on every single commercial and remember the actors. An example of my insight is that the other day I picked out the voice of Steve Buscemi in two different animated roles in like the span of one hour (well one was the simpsons but still). This of course shows that I watch a lot of tv.
- It's like everybody's birthday around here. Maritza Dec 27th, my dad on the 30th, my friend Alee today the 31st, Zach's Grandad Tomorrow the 1st, my friend Inga's is the 5th. I kind of suck at birthdays around holidays... sorry gang!
- I am going to start cycling 2-3 times a week as sort of a build up to my Spring training. I rode my Mtn bike yesterday down along the river rather than ride my road bike on the trainer. Really I could have taken my road bike out, the streets were dry and it wasn't raining, but I'm not quite ready for that (It's been a WHILE). I pushed pretty hard and actually averaged 13 MPH which wasn't bad on my heavy ass mtn bike! I figure I will do most of the riding on the trainer but I'll try to get out when the weather is clear. Tuesday: bike 10.0 miles/46:12/13.0 mph average
- I ran 5 miles today and bumped into Emily on the river trail, so I joined her on the route over to Anne's house. They went to yoga and I ran home. Wednesday: run 5.0 miles/44:56/8:59 average pace
- Today is my friend from Missoula Alee's birthday. She's a grad student and super smart and funny and easily one of my favorite people. She came to visit us a couple of years ago for New Year's Eve/birthday and we all went out in North Beach in SF and got real intoxicated. It was one of the funnest nights ever. Observe some pics of that historical event with estimated timeline (as if I was at all aware that night). This takes place at a few different bars:
9:00 pm -
Monday, December 29, 2008
March 15 Portland Shamrock Run (5, 8, or 15 km race)
April 5 Race for the Roses (5k)
April 19 Bridge to Bridge to Brews (10k)
May 3 Eugene Half Marathon
May 31 Hagg Lake Open Water Swim (4k, 2k, or 800 m)
June 13 Blue Lake Triathlon (Sprint)
July 11 Hagg Lake Triathlon (Olympic)
August 16 Lake Stevens 70.3
November 22 Ironman Arizona
And a new iPod shuffle!
The snow very rapidly melted starting the day after Christmas and is completely gone now here in the city (still some snow up in the hills). Those last couple days of snow- when it got all dirty and slushy, and then the melting days were ugly but we are rewarded with clear runable sidewalks. Yay! I hadn't run outside since the marathon and it was awesome. Zach and I ran together on Sunday and then I did a solo run this morning.
Here's the stats and then a few final pictures of Christmas and Arctic Blast 2008:
Christmas Eve Snowman:
This is always the best part of Christmas morning:
Jam session featured Deana on violin (she played in school too):
Zach on guitar:
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
It's also looking like we're going to have a white Christmas! It snowed again this morning- we've got over a foot out there in the downtown area. They said this is the snowiest December on record! The warmer air is moving in though and we'll be getting some rain and the snow will start to melt fast. It was fun while it lasted! It was neat to experience a tiny "real" winter again.
In the spirit of Christmas, I busted out my fiddle last night to play some carols. I played in an orchestra all through middle and high school, but now my violin only sees the outside of the case once a year. Every year I think "I should really play more often" but it hasn't happened yet. It's an old violin that was my grandpa's and it has a beautiful sound. Well, it has potential. Let's just say I'm a little rusty!! I won't make you listen to my playing, but here's a picture..
I do have some training to report before I go:
30 minutes trainer ride-
4.0 miles/40:00/10:00 average pace
Treadmill run with some incline variation to make it slightly interesting. Felt great!
Strength Training in the weight room
Merry Christmas Everyone!!
Monday, December 22, 2008
Here's pictures from Saturday morning:
And Sunday morning, after a layer of freezing rain capped off the snow (and made it very tough to walk in):
Ice covered the cars:
This is where I wish I was running:
Some ice along the banks of the river:
Awww, shoot! We really wanted ice cream:
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
It's so cold and snowy, it really feels like Christmas. I love it. For 6 consecutive California Christmases (say that three times fast), I got into the spirit with music and smells... but it never came close to my ol' Montana Christmas. I guess this isn't the same either, but closer. Something magical about freezing your ass off.
I have no physical activity to report unfortunately. My marathon recovery is slipping into no-excuse-laziness. Today I'm going to bundle up and go for a long walk of at least 45 minutes or an hour, if I can make it that long without freezing solid or falling down repeatedly. I need to do something to balance the cookie and wine intake!
Monday, December 15, 2008
Inga (left) and Deana (right) on the North Park Blocks
Blue sky down by the river
Deana had to work so Inga, me, and Zach bundled up and hit the streets
This was another rainy day. We're in Jameson Park here.
Deana came over and we had a little party that night
Which of course lead to karaoke/interpretive dancing
When the snow started falling yesterday morning we threw on our swimsuits and went up to the hot tub which is on the very exposed and freezing cold roof.
After that, we dried off and headed out for a hot breakfast
My hair demonstrates the blustery wind
Oh, one last story. So Saturday when Inga, Zach, and I were out shopping we encountered a spontaneous outbreak of the Electric Slide at Whole Foods. Let me set the scene: we are at Whole Foods, and a line of people are suddenly doing the electric slide.
Yes, I joined in. Yes, Zach took a cell phone video.
(if that doesn't work, try this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHN7IKcIZmU)