I always do this to myself… the longer I wait to post, the more there is to recap and the more pressure I put on myself. I need to start posting more regularly! I can’t believe it’s been 3 weeks, that might be a record. So sorry! I have had a few things pop into my head for blog posts, but I haven’t had a chance to sit down and type or I’m just not feeling it. I’m not really in the mood to write right now either but I’m hoping once I start going it’ll come together. I’m going to include lots of randomness as usual so here we go, in no particular order.
- Thanks for all the replies on the Newport Race Report! It was great and I felt good about my effort after. Sorry I wasn’t able to include any pics, my Windows Live Writer was being fussy. I’m trying to include a few here so hopefully it works.
- My recovery from the marathon went really well. I took one week off and then ran 3 times the next week. My legs were tired but no pains, so that’s great!
- I am officially training for the McKenzie River 50k as of this week and so far so good. It feels like a fast ramp-up after Newport, I don’t think I’ve ever started training for something so soon after a big event. The plan I’m following is totally flexible and conservative, only 4 runs a week and weekly mileage topping out in the 40’s. I’m going for quality over quantity with lots of long trail runs.
- Zach’s back in action after several weeks off with a knee injury. He’s training for the 50k also and is wisely following the same conservative plan. Yay Zach!
- Our good friend’s fiancé just moved to town this weekend and not only is she super sweet and a great new friend, but she’s a runner and exactly my speed so we’re going to start running together. Score!! She’s training for Portland Marathon in October (which I’m also doing, after the 50k) so I think this will work out great.
- We’re doing the 4 day a week plan not only to avoid injury, but so we can do all the summer activities we want to do and boy are there a LOT. We have so many things, our weekends are already booked all summer for real! Softball, cycling trips, concerts, day trips, dinner parties, bbq’s, wine tasting, rafting, camping, beer festivals, etc. And that’s in addition to the everyday activities of yoga and climbing and biking. It’s going to be a busy and awesome summer.
- Man I love trail running. Yesterday I couldn’t stop thinking about how much I love running in Forest Park and how beautiful it is. Of all the things I love about Portland, Forest Park tops the list. I genuinely feel like it makes me a happier person. I have always loved spending time in nature and I can’t explain it but it does something very important to my spirit and soul.
- I’ve ridden my bike to work a couple times and it’s so great. It takes about 45 minutes and is really fun. I feel my bike fitness coming back! In addition to riding to work I’ve been getting around town on the bike too- up to the rock gym, to yoga, to Alisa’s house, etc. Love it!
- I’m back in the climbing gym after a two-month break and it’s just as fun as ever. It took a few times to get my courage back but I’m getting there now. It’s such a fun activity and challenges me in such a different way, physically and mentally.
- I went swimming with Alisa last week at a local outdoor pool. Can you believe it was the first time I’ve gone swimming since the Ironman? Crazy. I wore the new Ironman swimsuit I paid all that money for in November 2009 and I felt very cool. I was surprised how quickly the swimming came back to me! It was a blast and we plan to go again this week.
- Last sport I’ll mention is softball. We all had so much fun in the spring league that we signed up again for summer league. We are all getting a little better and we have all become such good friends, it’s a blast. We still aren’t good, but we always have fun. And we always go get beer after which is probably the best part!
- As far as yoga… I am still going regularly to the meditative/restorative class but have fallen off the wagon with Vinyasa. I am more into the mental aspect of it anyway, so I’m ok with my practice right now but do miss the active stuff. I’ll get around to it I’m sure.
- We are falling deeper in love with our beautiful little house every day. It is just perfect and so lovely and so US. We had a housewarming party and it felt great to fill the house with friends and food and love. The furnishing and decorating is coming together, although I admit I lost some steam after the big move and all that. I don’t even mind though, I love it just as it is. We spend so much time out in the yard and these long summer days are just heaven. Summers in Portland are just the bees knees I tell you.
- Speaking of bugs and summer, I apparently have developed a pretty serious allergy to mosquitoes. I got bit a couple times over the last week and the little bites turned into huge swollen welts. Yikes!! I heard I can take Benadryl or Zyrtec so I might try that. For now I’m just bundling up or coming inside when the bugs come out. I always got big huge bites but this is worse than ever.
- Well, I think that’s it. There are other things but they seem silly to go on about. Like I got an iPhone, congratulations to me? It is fun though and I can’t get enough of the twitter and the angry birds. :D Better late then never right? Anyway, I will try to update weekly and will be posting about the trail running and all the other fun stuff!
Everyone have a great week and I hope you are enjoying your summer so far! Here are a few pictures, I hope they work this time. Thanks for reading!
Newport Marathon June 4th: