Friday, July 25, 2008

Big News

I'm heading to Portland tomorrow morning for a few days, but that is not my news. My news is that in a month, Zach and I are heading to Portland and we are not coming back.


We are moving to Portland, Oregon.



Reasons we are moving:

- We've talked about moving for a couple of years, just hadn't had the guts to do it.

- We never really saw ourselves staying in the bay area long term, due to the cost of housing and the fact that it's a sprawling souless metropolis, and we're simple country folk (personal opinion, pretty sure Zach doesn't even feel this way).

- I lost my job and have to start over anyway, may as well do something fun.

- Zach's ready for something new job-wise as well.

Reasons we picked Portland:

- Cost of living is dramatically lower.

- Still a big enough city for fun cultural activities. In fact, it is a very very cool city.

- We can afford to live right in the heart of it all in some hip vintage apartment.

- My best friend since 5th grade, Deana, lives there (side note, prepare to hear tons about her and my evil plan to turn her into a runner/triathlete) (second side note, my other bestest friend lives in Phoenix, and I would rather take my chances with the rain than the desert heat, no offense Inga, family that lives there, millions of other residents)

- It's half the distance to our family in Montana compared to here.

- Outdoor opportunities such as backpacking, skiing, kayaking, etc abound. Such activities are more popular there, less of a drive, and less crowded.

- It's purdy:

Well that about wraps up my big news. :) Please feel free to share any tips or experiences on living in Portland. Yes, I know it rains a lot, I shall deal. Also, feel free to contact me if you happen to have some awesome direct connection to a high-paying job in Portland in the following fields: Market Research, GIS Analysis, Land Use Planning, Consumer Analysis, Location Intelligence, mediocre but enthusiastic triathlete. I know employers these days can happen on applicants personal blogs and such, but I'm allright with that. Besides some bad language and the occasional mid-day glass of wine I'm a pretty good girl. And wicked smart and hard working, wink wink.

Well that wasn't so bad. Compared to telling other people in my life, this was easy. I have to say that with all the change that is happening in my world, it is good to know that this little part of my life is staying exactly the same. :)

I'll throw a quick summary of my taper workouts even though they will be overshadowed by my exciting news:

Monday: off

Tuesday am: bike
5.0 miles/1:34:13/15.9 MPH

Tuesday noon: swim
2750 yards/1:03:39

Wednesday am: run
6.0 miles/56:03/9:21 average pace

Thursday noon: swim
2500 yards/1:00:32

Friday am: bike
25.0 miles/1:33:35/16.0 MPH

Friday right after that: run
3.0 miles/26:19/8:46 average pace

I'm planning on running 8-10 miles in Portland on Sunday, then nothing until I get back on Tuesday. Have a great weekend guys! :)

24 comments:

Aron said...

WOW!!! that is EXCITING!!! how fun to make a fun new change! (sad for me though since it was fun to have a runner blogger near by!) you guys will have a great time and portland is beautiful! i have a ton of family in oregon and used to spend a lot of time up there.

good luck with your adventure and have a great trip!!! almost race day :)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Talk about some Sick Trails to run now... Congrats! and umm that means you have to run 100 milers now --WOO HOOO

N.D. said...

That's great! Congrats! we've been talking about moving for a year now, to Boston though. I don't think we ever will, and I love my job so it is kind of keeping me here, but I still dream about it. Sounds like a great MOVE!

Mir said...

That is INCREDIBLE news! Portland is one place that is on my list of possibilities if we should ever summon the gumption to up and move. It sounds like it will be the ideal place for you. I can't wait to see pictures of your hip vintage apartment. :D Yay! Yay!

ShirleyPerly said...

WOWOWEEE!! I spent a summer and one quarter of grad school in Oregon (Corvallis). Great place for someone who enjoys being active in the outdoors, rain or shine. Congrats on your decision!

21stCenturyMom said...

Congratulations! I LOVE Portland. I love books and Portland loves books. And it loves fabulous public transportation and great shopping and nice neighborhoods with affordable housing and good food and beauty - lots of beauty.

My brother lives there and I have, on more than one occasion, considered making the move. Very happy for you!

miss petite america said...

i'm so very happy for you!!! and sad! i thought for sure there would be a reunion of the bay area jen(n)s!

congrats on taking the big leap. portland IS an awesome city!

Unknown said...

Very exciting! I have heard very good things about Portland and how beautiful it is there. I hope the move goes really well. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! It is always refreshing to pick up and start something new. Good luck!

Donald said...

Yeah, it's all great up there and everything, but do they have a hockey team??

NorCal will miss you, but it sounds like a great move. Best of luck.

Arcane said...

Wow that is news. Sounds like you;ve reasoned this out and you're making the right decision. Are you guys going to have to switch loyalties now and start rooting for the Canucks since you'll be closer to Vancouver than San Jose? BTW, have a safe trip.

GB said...

I LOVE Portland. I LOVE Oregon. We have family in Idaho and are considering retiring to Oregon (a very strong likelihood). I am so jealous!!!!

I'm very happy for you Jen. I have your email and whenever we get up there, I'll touch base so we can get together for a beer or a run or both!

Judi said...

WOW! Good for you!

Ewen said...

That is big news. From your hip vintage apartment, you'll be able to walk (stagger) to and from the Bridgeport Brewery and Powell's Book Store :)

You can pop down to Eugene to watch track at Hayward Field. A long cycle to the ocean for swim training is the only downfall. As Bob said, some great trails in the area too!

KK said...

Congrats!!! I am so happy/excited for you guys. What a cool new adventure for the both of you.
You will land on your feet in no time and my husdband Steve says "Henry's" is the BEST place to hang out/drink beer. I mean, priorities people, you can talk about where to run while you're drinking there.

Good Luck!

Kelly said...

Congratulations! You will LOVE Portland! If you like wine, I got married at the Maresh Vineyards about an hour away from Portland. It's out in Dundee, check them out, the family and people there are so nice. I have a sister that lives out there and my brother lives outside of Seattle. If you ever want to do some skiing/snowboarding Mt. Baker is the place to do that. And, if you want to white water raft, my brother is a guide for them this time of year. Go to see Multnomah Falls outside of Portland, that's beautiful as well. Have fun!

SavvyFitChica said...

Congrats on the big news! That's very exciting and I think you guys will love it. I can't really speak for Portland, Oregon but as someone who moved from Michigan to Arizona (2,000 miles) away from family and what we considered "normal", all I can tell you is to just be flexible and enjoy the ride. There are some things that will be so much better and some things that you'll miss... but just enjoy the ride and you'll do just fine!

Kelsalynn

Michael said...

Jen, congrats on your big news! I lived in Portland for four years, and in fact am a graduate of the University of Portland. I LOVED it there, and I think you're making a great decision. It's a beautiful city...the weather isn't the best for runners and triathletes, but when the weather is nice, there's no place I'd rather be. Don't forget to run through the fountain on The Waterfront!

ncrunner12 said...

That's great! Oregon looks like such a beautiful place. I wish you both the best and hope Portland quickly and easily becomes "home" for you two.

Marathon Maritza said...

*cries*

Michele said...

wow, how exciting!
I have never been to Portland but sounds like a great place for you.
Good luck with the job search.

Emily said...

Portland huh? Never cared for it much.

jahowie said...

That's very cool!! I've always wanted to visit Oregon. I hope that your move goes well. Have a great time there.

Ryan said...

All right, so I am a little behind. CONGRATS on such an exciting and courageous decision! I have never been to Portland but am intrigued by Oregon. When's the marathon there? Maybe I'll put it on my to do list.