Monday, November 29, 2010

Escape

We got back last night from a week and a half in San Diego. It was a really tough trip with a lot of really difficult stuff to deal with. We are back home and life goes on but it is all still weighing heavily on me. It’s going to take some time to get back to normal.

The short story is that William and Melanie are “ok.” William is in good spirits and it was great to see him. He is busted up pretty good but will recover soon. Melanie suffered a serious head injury and it will take her a very long time to recover. We are all very hopeful and thinking positive. I honestly don’t really want to get into specifics of their injuries beyond that. Please keep them in your prayers.

It’s been very hard for all of us.  We are very thankful we didn’t lose them, and that was really brought home after attending the funerals of people that did not make it. Things could be much worse. Even so, this has been really tough to deal with. I am holding up ok. Zach and I are leaning on each other and we have the support of an amazing group of family and friends. We are trying to think positive, stay busy, and celebrate the holidays as best we can.

Something I really do want to talk about is how I have found my escape in San Diego and now back home out running. I didn’t do any yoga, which I plan to resume asap (in fact, I need to finish this blog later and head there now!) but I did run. And it was great. I had several good runs in CA and today I did a long run back home. Running was a nice break from the stress of the long days at the hospital and will continue to keep me centered back home. It’s weird- when I’m out running, it is hard to put my finger on what is so great about it. It isn’t EASY… in fact most of the runs have been pretty hard. It isn’t even that distracting… I tend to let my mind wander to all kinds of serious things and it’s not like I forget what’s going on. It just feels right. It feels like – this is what I know how to do. This is how my body wants to be moving right now. It’s therapeutic somehow.

To recap my running a little: I ran 35 miles while I was in San Diego including a 17 mile long run on Coronado Island with Zach (yes, he ran slow with me!). Back home I did a 20 mile long run out on the snowy Banks Vernonia trail west of town. It was beautiful and hard and took forever and I loved every second of it.

I’m going to keep up the running because I know I need it. I also need to get back to yoga, which has an important role in keeping me centered too. And I can’t wait to go back to the climbing gym, it has been so long!!

Thanks for reading and for all your support in this difficult time. I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving! Here are a few pictures from our trip.

 

DSCN2110

Long run on Coronado Island

IMG00086-20101121-0916

IMG00097-20101121-1057

Wine tasting with my bestie

DSCN2150

Mission Beach

 DSCN2174  

Back home – Long run on Banks Vernonia trail

IMG00105-20101128-1052 IMG00108-20101128-1107

IMG00114-20101128-1226

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing to keep your family in my prays. As always gorgeous pics!

Petraruns said...

Thinking of Zach's parents and also of you two - very very much love. Keep running it out.

I know that when my 4 year old was in hospital and in pain I would run to and from hospital every day and that saved my mental bacon. Every day.

KK said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this jen. I will keep them in my thoughts and well wishes. Yoga and running is the perfect cocktail for stress relief. Hang in there.

Susan - Nurse on the Run said...

I'll be continuing to think about your family...many of my patients have a longgg road to recovery, and I know (not firsthand, but I can only imagine) how hard it can be. Glad you and Zach have each other during this time.

And running...even if you can't say EXACTLY what it is that helps, if it does something for you, then just go with it.

John said...

My thoughts are with you guys.

Nitmos said...

Best wishes.

Alisa said...

You know I'm here for ya!

Great job on the runs too, sometimes it's what we need.

Thinking of you and Zach and family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ewen said...

I'm sending my best wishes.

Glad you're keeping the running up. Such a contrast between the beaches of San Diego and now running in the snow.