We are officially 100% actually living in our new house! It’s been about 6 weeks since we closed, so there has been a lot of time spent in the new house, working, painting and hanging out. But as of Saturday, we actually sleep there. We’ll turn in the keys to our apartment by the end of the month but otherwise it is done. Exciting!
I can summarize the experience with two different sentiments. 1: Ugh. 2. LOVE!
I will break it down further though. Here are a few random thoughts which I will share with you now in bullet point format:
- We have a lot of great friends who helped us move. Amy, Alisa, Justin, Sarah, Michael, Lisa, Andrew, Taylor and Josh all put in a lot of time and effort over the weekend to make it happen. They are wonderful and I owe them all big time! So grateful. Moving is the worst and I appreciate them lightening our load a bit.
- I missed my last real long run of 16 miles on Sunday. I was exhausted from moving the day before, we had a softball game at noon, and I was just not feeling it. But it was 2 weeks out from the marathon and I figured it didn’t matter. I ran 10 miles the next day to sort of make up for it and feel OK with this decision. I’ve been a trooper getting my miles in through this process, so one miss ain’t bad.
- We have So. Much. Stuff. I can’t believe it. It’s all going to fit wonderfully when all is said and done, but what a giant project. Unpacking can be fun, but it is a lot of work. I am finding it to be a lot more logistically challenging then I remember. Like you have 3 boxes of stuff and one bathroom vanity. GO. It is a puzzle. Zach did the kitchen which may have been the hardest puzzle yet, but there are lots of other rooms and tons of stuff left to unpack.
- I’m really looking forward to the decorating part of it! I’ve been planning it out for months with the help of my interior designer friend Inga, and my super creative friend Emily. They all have great taste and insight, I love it.
- My cat did not enjoy the ride over to the new house, but seemed to settle in OK once we were there. SEEMED to. A couple days later he found hidey hole in the crawl space and spent the next day and a half in there. We finally lured him out but I’m sure he’ll find another place to disappear soon. He’s so weird.
- I’ve run a couple times from the new house after work and I love it! The area around the house is so beautiful but quite hilly. I am ok with that for the most part. My favorite part is being able to set my Garmin outside while I get ready (used to not even be able to get a signal downtown most times) and stretching out after the run in the backyard.
= Zach has been commuting by bicycle! He rides about 8-9 miles each way, mostly on the paved trail which is nice. He even rode yesterday in the rain. He’s such a Portlander!
- On the other hand, I have been commuting by bus. (we both used to walk when we lived downtown). It’s actually pretty great! It’s a short, direct ride and I get to read. I like it so far!
- My favorite things in the house so far: 1) The Bath… Huge, claw-foot tub and I can see the stars through my window. Ahhh. Sorry, water bill. 2) Laundry room… an actual laundry room! Not a stackable in the closet in the bathroom. I even have a folding table! 3) Kitchen… I cooked a meal last night for the first time since we moved in and it was maybe the most delicious thing ever. Yes we had to sit on the floor but we didn’t care.
- I went to the apartment to clean it before we turn in the keys and it was weird. It made me a little sad. I’ve loved living there, it’s been a great experience. It is such a beautiful building in a great neighborhood downtown, it’s been very cool. I’ll miss it. Especially the rooftop hot tub.
- Even though our house is still about 50% chaos, the beginnings of a routine are taking shape and WOW is that nice. I feel like we’ve been so uprooted for the last few weeks, going back and forth between the houses. One big thing is we haven’t had to eat out all week which has been a relief. It was getting ugly.
- The Newport marathon is now like 10 days away! I kind of keep forgetting about it. Not only have we been so busy, but I’ve been running less (taper), Zach isn’t running at all (pretty much decided he’ll not run the marathon). It’s just slipped my mind. I need to rally some excitement and get pumped up! This has been a very different training cycle in general and I’m interested to see how it plays out on race day.
That is all for now! Here are a few pictures. Sorry for the lack of posting and the lack of pictures lately (and as always, the lack of commenting…. I do still read your blogs!)…. I hope to have more time as we get settled in. Thanks for reading.
Kitty in his hidey hole:
Done moving boxes!
Sad empty apartment:
Newport Training schedule almost all marked off!