Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Just run

Wednesday 11.0 miles/1:39:00/9:00 pace


I had Garmin issues this morning (it just wouldn't turn on) so at 5:15 I had to make the quick decision to just take my watch and run for time. For ease of calculation I went with an estimated 9:00 pace, which seemed reasonable, and just ran. I did 4 miles with Zach on his usual early morning loop, which I finished in 36:40 (9:10 pace). This seemed right since I am usually nice and slow the first mile this early in the morning - like 9:45, then speed up from there. Then I looped through the streets for the next 30 minutes since it was still dark out, then got on the trail for the next 35 minutes or whatever. It was great just to get out and run. No looking at the pace, no worrying about being too fast or too slow, just running. I still would not trade my Garmin 205 for anything but it was kinda nice to leave it at home today. Definitely helped my "whoa girl, take it easy" thing. I may have been a bit long or short, but who cares. :)


After I got home I plugged the Garmin into its charger and plugged that into a different outlet, and it seemed to charge it up. I guess it was just dead? Which is weird because I swear I charged it all day and it said "battery charging complete." Wtf? Hopefully it was a fluke.


I got my run done this morning because we've got a cold front moving in with maybe some showers. Yay!! I do love cold temps for running but not so much the rain. But I do love this kind of weather- I am still a Montana girl at heart and the cold wind and dreary skies really bring me back. haha. I stood outside on the porch last night for a minute, it was about 50 ish, and just loved the feeling. We get wussy "winters" here in the Bay but I'll take it over sunny skies any day.
Proof I can hang in a real winter:

Yellowstone Park, March 2002

9 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

I can't wait for rain! I love hot cocoa weather!

Way to go on just feeling the run today!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

ahhhh I cant hang in winter, UMM well maybe too visit a nice place in the winter but had to move away from all that cold crappy snow turns blackish grey color--lol days...

Good run & nice pic toooo

ok typing this WV in now :-( turn ittttt offffffffffff!

Michele said...

That has happened to my Garmin several time. If you rest set it it will turn on. Push and hold down the mode(I think maybe the power) and rest buttons at the same time until it turns on.

GB said...

Yes Jen! Long, short, who cares!!! I agree. We just NEED running days like that every now and then. It just helps to run, chill and enjoy it. You are a strong athlete, and a run here and there w/out the Garmin won't hurt ya. :)

jahowie said...

I hope your Garmin problem works out for you. Mine was acting funny the other day, but then the next time I used it everthing was back to normal. Sounds like you had a nice run though.

Donald said...

I've done a complete technology purge in the last 6 months - no GPS, no HRM, nothing but a watch. It's pretty liberating.

As for winter ... no thanks.

Willis said...

Great to hear that you're keeping up the great running - and love the pics! Where are you a consultant at by the way; sounds like your life'll be pretty busy as well with the job and training?

Mir said...

Those runs are the best--just get out there and do it. But I do hope the Garmin is okay. The other kind of runs are needed too!

21stCenturyMom said...

Isn't it amazing how stuck we get on our Garmins? Mine is failing me more often than not now and I am lusting for a 305 but it isn't in the budget just yet.

Isn't it reassuring to know that you can run even if your Garmin won't? :-)