Friday, April 13, 2007

Last Pre-Race Run, and Boston Marathon Goals

Friday 5.0 miles/41:37/8:20 average pace

I just got in from a beautiful run. It's so warm and nice here- maybe 72 degrees- it's just hard to imagine dealing with stormy weather! But I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm sure I'll look forward to coming home to sunny California after.

My run felt fantastic- easy, smooth, and powerful. I did push the last mile (7:47), but otherwise felt perfectly tuned into my "run forever" pace. I was listening to Steve Runner's latest Phedippidations podcast, which was about the 1982 Boston Marathon "Duel in the Sun" between Dick Beardsly and Alberto Salozar, and it really inspired me. I am so excited to take part in this legendary road race. I'm sure I'll run it again someday, but this first time is going to be an amazing experience. :)

I am really looking forward to running this race without a solid time goal. Previously I have ran with a very specific time goal, and the absolute expectation that I would meet that goal. The pressure on myself seems to work, but it's such a relief to run without it! My number one goal is to enjoy this race.

I expect that I will be able to run about 3:45 (8:35 pace) no problem. I'm going to go with the conditions, though, and if it's real rough out there then I'll slow down. I have no problem finishing in four hours or more as long as I've got a big smile on my face as I cross the finish line. However, I also have no problem finishing in 3:40 or faster, or even getting a sweet PR. I know it's a long shot, but I am not placing any limits on myself!

I will run this race smart, I am going to handle the hills, and plan to finish strong. I would like to run the whole distance without walking, which is not a major goal but would be pretty cool. I've only done that once- at CIM- but once is enough to know I can do it.

I cannot wait to share my race report!! Thank you so much to everyone who reads this blog, even if you don't comment, I really appreciate it! I am so grateful for the support of you all. This is really an amazing community. Thanks. :)

8 comments:

Arcane said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Miss 111 ENJOY the Moments, going to be a great experience that only a few in the grand scheme of things will ever experience...

We will be cheering you in spirit !!

Clap clap clap ( I am giving U a little golf clap right now just to start the good vibes being sent ur way from FL)LOL

Unknown said...

You have done the work. You are prepared. You will do great. So just enjoy the atmosphere of that great race and have fun!

Oh, ya, you better give a race report, too!! ;-)

Michele said...

Good luck!!!!!

Emily said...

Have so much fun.

Cory said...

Looking forward to the race report. You will do great!

Kevin said...

HAD to add my GOOD LUCK Jen!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Wooooooo Hoooooo Great Job Jen!! Looking forward to ur report!!