Saturday, February 21, 2009

finally!

I just got back from a wonderful 8 mile run. I think I am finally on the mend! The last few days were a total loss training-wise but I think that was the smart decision. I haven't really run since Monday (besides Wednesday's 2 mile suffer-fest) and haven't done any swimming or biking since Tuesday. What I have done is lay on the couch and blow my nose. A box of kleenex, half a bottle of Nyquil, and a quart of OJ later I think I'm better. I took today's run very easy, and kept the distance shorter, despite reeeeeally wanting to run long. I stopped several times to blow my nose (carried my fuel belt with the big pocket for this reason) and drank lots of water. Zach went ahead and did his long run so I ran alone and just listened to podcasts and stuff. Lots of people out and the sun was shining too. Great day to be out. I love that just a couple of days of forced rest makes me appreciate running all over again. :D

Saturday
8.0 miles/1:14:46/9:21 average pace

That's it for the week for me, I'm going to take tomorrow off and just be ready to hit it full force on Monday. So here's the totals for my week of sick:

run: 18.5 miles (plan was about 32)
bike: 1 spin class
swim: 3500 yards

17 comments:

Chloe said...

Hey! Thanks for checking out my blog :) And glad that you are feeling better! Sometimes you have to listen to your body - and when it says stop..well, stop :)

Compression socks are awesome! I actually ran my first marathon in a pair. No lower leg pain at all - and a quick recovery! So now I have a pink pair that I sleep in and a white pair that I wear for my long training runs and rides! Let me know how they work for you!

Happy training! Chloe

kristen said...

Glad your feeling better. Also glad your forced days off made you refreshed! I think getting sick makes me really appreciate what I have the other 362 days of the year. At least you got it over with too.

Susan said...

Glad you took some time off and now you're feeling better! I'm sure you'll pick up where you left off!

Natalie D said...

great job on the run! glad you are feeling good!

Marathon Maritza said...

Yay, glad to hear you're feeling better!!! Great job on the run, I bet the fresh sunny air was also good for you. :) Rest up tomorrow so you can hit next week full force!

Petraruns said...

Isn't it lovely when things turn your way again? Delighted you weren't hit for too long and that you're back on track.

Alisa said...

Your mileage for the week is still pretty high considering being sick!

Sometimes all our bodies need is a little R&R!

Kelly said...

Great run, glad you're feeling better. Enjoy the rest day!

Aron said...

YAY for feeling better!! sounds like the couple days off is exactly what your body needed :)

Billy said...

Glad you're feeling better jen. :)

jb said...

ha ha ha. i feel the same about my week's distance goals vs results, but i don't have illness to blame! the northeast cold is killing me, and the treadmill just kills me! feel better and keep drinking water :)

Ewen said...

"Plan was about 32 miles"? Isn't 18.5 long enough?

You've bounced back well. Watch out for those quarts of OJ though - drinking lots of OJ was Juno's downfall.

Cindy said...

hey! i'm glad to hear that the funk is leaving you. being sick is so not fun. great 8 mile run!
i'm psyched to try out the new spinning bikes- finally!

ShirleyPerly said...

Hooray for feeling better! Nearly everyone I know has been sick or is sick. Hope this week goes better for you and I both.

Amy said...

Glad you're on the mend! Sometimes forced rest is the best recovery and appreciation tool out there. I don't know why but whenever I can't do soemthing b/c I'm sick it always makes me want to do it that much more. I'm glad your long run went well too! Yeah for good weather too.

Thanks for all the nice thoughts, etc about my grandma too. I appreciate it.

GB said...

Hey Jen, I think time off for sickness is a GOOD thing! You will be ready to go next week. And don't feel bad about the mileage. I think I only got in about 20 last week (if I'm lucky)!

21stCenturyMom said...

Hi Jen - I'm just catching up.

I also have the crud that has my ears ringing and gives me a sinus headache. No more runny nose but I'm not 100% and I'm sick of it!

Sounds like your training is going well in spite of illness.

Keep having fun!