Thursday, February 19, 2009

wednesday and thursday

I should have seen this coming. I thought the sore throat was on its way out but turns out it was just getting comfortable! And my awesome monday and tuesday workouts probably made it worse. Tuesday evening I started feeling pretty awful and I hardly slept that night because I was sneezing and coughing so much. Wednesday I spent on the couch drinking tea and orange juice and blowing my nose.

I walked over to the gym to take a steam and thought I'd try running just a little on the treadmill. (stupid) I made it two miles when my upper chest started hurting and I knew I had to stop. Dammit!

Wednesday: run (ha)
2.0 miles/20:00/10:00 average pace

I did my core training and pushups yesterday too, which really was harmless since I took long breaks between sets.

I bought some Nyquil yesterday and took it about 11:00 last night and while I didn't really sleep well I did feel a LOT better. No sniffling, coughing, or sore throat. I feel good today!

BUT, as hard as it is for me to be sedentary, I promised myself I would not even try to work out at all today. I am going to go steam again and will fight the urge to jump in the pool for a quick kick set or do just a little strength training. I really need to get completely over this cold so that I can resume my training. The plan is to spin and/or run tomorrow and then I have 14 miles scheduled for Saturday. I can adjust that if I need to, but I really hope I don't! I hate hate hate being sick.

21 comments:

Kelly said...

Hope you're feeling better and still doing nothing!

ShirleyPerly said...

NOOOO -- Not you too :-(

I'm still trying to shake mine. I feel fine until I try to do something that keeps my HR up. Hope you're better soon!

Amy - the gazelle said...

If you want the good drugs, you need to drive to Vancouver - you can get real Sudafed there from a pharmacist! Just promise not to make any meth.

I hope you feel better soon!

Kim said...

take care of yourself jen! get better soon.

Aron said...

i haaaaaate being sick too!!! feel better soon and get lots of rest!

Petraruns said...

Oh Jen feel better soon - but take it easy in the meantime. Give yourself a chance to rest up while your body is healing. You've plenty of time!

I Run for Fun said...

Hope you feel better. Hate the sniffles. Try to take it easy (easier said than done, huh!)

Susan said...

I hope you get some good rest! Feel better soon!

Amy said...

Ugh, feel better. You aren't kidding, that sounds miserable. Hopefully the steam helped today. Hang in there!

Billy said...

Take care of yourself Jen...and if all else fails, try a shot of tequila*!

(*advice I receive from my Latino employee whenever I feel under the weather..)

Sarah said...

Oh man! You need some puffs with lotion!! So sorry.

Arcane said...

sorry to hear you've come down with something. Get plenty of rest and hope you get better soon.

Cindy said...

aww man. well, get lots of rest--don't feel bad about laying low completely. i basically hibernate my way through a cold. if you need to, refer to the youtube video 'man cold'. study it. embrace it. ;-) hope you feel better soon.

Ewen said...

Poor Jen. Get Zach to whip up some delicious home-made soup.

Anonymous said...

Hope the virus leaves your system asap. Hang in there. Once you feel better you'll have some nice workouts.

Gotta Run..... said...

Yuck on the sickness. Seems to be a lot of that going around!!

Like the sock review. I am seeing and hearing more and more about them. it does peak my interest.

melinda said...

I hope you feel better soon! Thanks for your comments on my race report! and no, I did not cry at the end. :)

jb said...

argh. being sick is so frustrating. your body is trying to tell you something, though. feel better!

Beth said...

Sorry you are feeling crappy too! I hope the day off has helped.

Marathon Maritza said...

Ugh, sorry you've got this. It started today for me too, in my throat. :-/

If you need to entertain yourself while you rest up, I highly recommend http://fmylife.com . I've already wasted a good 3 hours on there.

Love ya, feel better soon!!!

Alisa said...

Whatever "it" is, it's going around. Sorry it hit you too!

Sometimes, working out makes me feel better BUT not when I had my bronchitis. It was awful!

Hope you're on the mend!