Tuesday, February 10, 2009

weekend challenges

It was an action packed weekend that included one scheduled workout and two impromptu fitness showdowns.


So, Friday night we had some friends over and had some wine and hung out. They are hilarious and we always have a great time. As the night progressed and everything got a little fuzzy, I decided to do the "footprint test" on my friend Deana because she's going to get some real running shoes and do a 5k this spring! In the process of doing that, we somehow got on the topic of our pushup challenge and our other friend, Dana, basically wanted to go head-to-head with me. After telling her I'd done like 50 pushups earlier in the day as part of my training (in 5 sets) I think I said "I'll kick your ass" and we were off. I did 17!!! And of course, won. It was awesome.


Saturday: run
12.0 miles/1:45:43/8:49 average pace
Zach and I drove out to Southeast and ran on that stretch of the Springwater. It was really sunny and warm, about 55 degrees. I wanted to run slow (I'm alternating long, slow runs with shorter, goal-pace runs) so I wanted Zach to run ahead and I would keep my pace easy. I loaded up my iPod and just enjoyed the scenery. It was a beautiful day and a great run.


Sunday we headed out in the afternoon just to walk around and maybe get some food. We headed toward Northwest and ended up hiking up the steep streets of the West Hills. We found these amazing long staircases that short-cut the winding streets and decided to have a spur-of the moment time-trial. Zach ran up 150 stairs in 30 seconds and I took 55 seconds. I almost blacked out it was so freaking hard. Zach thinks we should RUN up there and repeat the time trail. I think he is insane. At the bottom of the post there are some pictures of the stairs and of some of the amazing homes up there. Not a bad view either.


totals for the week:

run: 30 miles
bike: 35 miles
swim: 3200 yards
(and 126 pushups total, plus other strength training)

yay!



So here we are already into a new week. I have a feeling this one is going to be a little challenging because I have a few things going on that will affect my schedule. Yesterday I volunteered at the Children's Book Bank from 9-noon. Today I have a Dr. appt, tomorrow I have my library volunteer job, and Thursday they are testing the fire alarms in my building so I need to get the hell out of here for a few hours. Oh, and it snowed this morning which screwed up my plans of driving out to the pool (the highway is gridlocked). I'll work something out. I ended up waiting till 5:00 pm yesterday and just running with Zach:

Monday: run
5.0 miles/45:36/9:07 average pace
Slow easy run along the river. It was a clear night and the city was beautiful.


We did our pushups after the run and I'm feeling really strong already. I'm repeating each week so right now I'm starting week 2. I did 15 for my "max" in my last set.


Have a great week everyone! Pics below:

150-ish stairs:


There are actually benches to rest in between flights:



And here's a few of the beautiful old homes in the West Hills:












Me and my valentine:

19 comments:

Amy - the gazelle said...

I used to go run those stairs in NW for fun - and am thinking it might be about time to start doing that again.

Sounds like a good week!

Sun Runner said...

I did a stairclimb "race" last year that was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

This year I joined team composed of my co-workers and we're climbing the stairs inside downtown Detroit's Renaissance Center for a fundraising event. The RenCen has over 1,000 total steps (70 flights of stairs). Needless to say I'm not repeating my mistakes from my spur-of-the-moment climb last year. Such as, whatever you do, don't start out too fast! We're practicing weekly inside Ann Arbor's tallest building, which has 27 stories. Up and down three times, and we're done.

raulgonemobile said...

Awesome stairs.. that looks like a neat area to run in

Amy said...

You guys are so cute. Loved all the pictures.....that area looks so pretty. Great job on all the workouts too - you had a great week last week!

Gotta Run..... said...

Funny how we are always up for a challenge even after a few glasses of wine...lol!!

You will figure out how to have another great workout week... I am sure.

Kelly said...

I can not handle stairs, so way to go. I actually think I'm going to bring it up to my PCP tomorrow at my appointment. It kind of has started to concern me that I can run pretty well but when it comes to stairs I'm kind of huffing and puffing.

Sounds like the push up challenge is working out. Maybe I'll give it another try, you've inspired me.

So, I'm coming up to Portland for my sister's graduation in May. And after all your pictures and runs around town, I'd like to try and do a run while I'm there. Do you think you could recommend a good place to try and do a run? My hubby doesn't run though, so I don't know if I'll actually go. I'm too chicken to run by myself, it was just an idea I started thinking about. Any suggestions?

Kelly said...

K. I'll let you know dates and what not when it gets closer. I'm excited, that'll be fun! Be ready for a slow run. :D

Aron said...

nice job on the weekend!! that was my weekend run too, i told chris to just go ahead... its nice to have them out there but to run your own pace and zone out :)

love all the pics!! those houses are beautiful!

Alisa said...

Fun times! There are some really neat houses up there. (very east coastish)

I used to love stairs...um...not so much anymore. I would have been behind you in the stair challenge I'm sure.

Beth said...

Those stairs look like they would be painful! Great for leg strength though.

Great job on the pushup challenge. It scares me. My upper body is weak.

kristen said...

Uhhh 8:49 for an easy run - In my dreams.

Way to throw it down on the push up challenge! I like a tough chick.

And maybe we should write in to Bravo for a new show - The Real Housewives of West Hills Oregon. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am trying to get some slow runs in. It is hard to go slow, especially alone!

Those stairs look insane. Great job. The homes are beautiful.

Cindy said...

whoo, my buns hurt just looking at those stairs. that had to be a killer. if i ever feel really really sporty i might have to check that out.

Sarah said...

I hate stairs - which means I should really start doing them again. And you and Zach have a crazy busy and active weekend? Shocking ;)

Petraruns said...

Nice work on those stairs - I like your attitude. And those houses are lovely lovely lovely. Hmmmm - I'm going to have get into the pushups as well I think. Are your arms looking good?

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Very Cool Pics and love those stairs now get ur butt of that bench and KEEP MOVING :-)

Anonymous said...

Cool pics! - Way to kick butt in the push-up contest :)

Ewen said...

17! Woohoo! Congrats on the victory.

You both should enter the Empire State Building Run-Up.

Go Deana!

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, those homes are gorgeous! And what a find on those stairs. I'll bet they don't get used too often except by nuts like you two :-)

Great job on the push-ups!