Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Superwoman

Lifted weights last night with Zach again for about an hour. I am getting stronger already! I am really enjoying the weight training with Zach. I totally neglected this aspect of my fitness for SO long and my strength suffered. Obviously stronger legs will help running, but I haven't been doing a lot of leg stuff. I'm going to add a few exercises in for legs- the doc said no squats or lunges but there are lots of other things. Beyond the legs, a strong core (abs, back, etc) will help keep my form steady and efficient. I do tend to slouch at the end of a hard run or race, and that makes me work harder for every step, which just makes me more tired, etc... Also, stronger arms and shoulders will keep my arms pumping easily and efficiently, again saving me energy for moving the legs forward. Also, it looks good.

The cross training is also going to benefit my body by working my muscles in new ways. All this will work toward making me generally more fit, less injury-prone, and a more balanced athlete.

Tonight I'm going to do the elliptical for 45-60 minutes and maybe do core workout if I have time.

I'm going to Phoenix tomorrow and Friday, so I will get in a run (2 MILES ONLY) while there. Upon my return Friday, Zach and I are going to go SWIMMING! Actually, I am going to do a kick-only workout, which I read is really good, and also I basically suck at swimming. I will work on the actual swimming a little, but I'll be doing mainly the kicking. Yay kicking!

4 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

Are we still friends? MaƱana, so help me god....

Michele said...

You are doing awesome on the cross training.
Have fun in the pool. Swimming is great fun.
Have a great trip and run.

TJ said...

just getting back in the gym myself. good luck.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the crappy weather here in Phoenix. I hope you have fun with the swimming.