Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day 5k quickie report

5k Unofficial result: 22:12!

7:09 average pace

4th in Age Group

It was a very tough run but I'm happy with the result! I ran only 5 seconds slower than last year's time, which stands as my PR. So not bad! I ran mile one in a smokin' 6:50, then slowed way down for a 7:28 mile 2, then finished strong with the last 1.1 miles in 7:53 (7:09 pace). This is EXACTLY how I have run the previous two years' 5k- super (too) fast first mile, slowed way down for the second mile, finished the race exactly on pace. Weird! The course does affect my splits in a logical way though- the first mile includes a nice downhill stretch, and the second mile is just slightly uphill for the entire way. Mile three is basically flat.

Seriously though, 5ks are so hard. I'm glad I did this race right before my marathon because no matter how difficult that will be, it will not be difficult in the same way as today's race. Not even close. I was panting, my stomach was in a knot, I wanted to puke, and I about passed out after I finished. I used my new favorite phrase "suck it up, princess" several times. But I did great and am very happy with my time! I wasn't really expecting a PR and was pumped to see how close I got to it. Official results should be up tonight. The overall winner was in my age group, so I might get bumped up to 3rd, but I think they let them "double dip" at this race.

I ran 1 and a quarter miles for a warm up and my leg was feeling good. No problems through the race but both calves really tightened up right after I was done. I stretched out good, then hit up the beer garden. Back at my in-laws' house I iced my legs in the cold pool then took a soak in the hot tub and stretched some more. Feeling allright now. :)

Well the company is about to arrive and I will be chowing down soon! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

Today also happens to be the 10th anniversary of me and Zach's first date. :) Actually we had been friends for a few months, but on November 22nd, 1997 we went to see Starship Troopers and held hands, then he kissed me when he dropped me off. Awwwwww. 10 years, crazy. I love him more than ever. :)

10 comments:

Ryan said...

Happy Ann'y! 10 years is a long time.

SWEET race... glad to see you rocked out strong today.

"Seriously though, 5ks are so hard"... uh, yeah, I'm with you. I am in more pain after a 5k than after a 1/2 mary. That's why I don't do too many of them.

GB said...

I remember Starship Troopers! Great flick. Hey Jen, great job on the 5K. I agree that the distance is SOOOO hard to race... it's 3.1 miles of pure "pain." No letting up until the finish. I'm glad you're feeling good...and you're ready to rock it at the CIM! Did you find your name on the confirmation list?

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Congrats on 10 years and on ur race...

so are you and GB going to MEET prior to the race???...I hope u do, two fast chicas meeting finally :-)

I want to see a pic of you two with ur finishing medals!! Remember who told you about each other, YES that was me during ur Boston Marathon Last Year:-)

Hope u had a good turkey day weekend!

Ewen said...

That's a good 5k time! If it was unexpected, it shows you're in good shape for the marathon. Perhaps you can find another 5k after you've recovered from the marathon and try for sub-22? Glad the legs are OK.

Happy anniversary.

GB said...

Hi again Jen! Because I dig Bob Gentile so much :) I thought it would be cool to meet you in person if possible.

I don't know what time you'll be at the expo but I'll probably be there in the early afternoon on Saturday. I'm meeting a few people from the runner's world forums there. we don't have a time nailed down yet, but we'll probably meet at the Starbucks inside the entrance to the building that the expo is in.

A bunch of people from my running club are having dinner at the Sheraton that evening around 6. Stop by if you have the time or energy. :) I hope to meet you, but if not I wish you the BEST marathon ever!!!

Mir said...

Awesome race, Jen!! Great that you were so close to your PR without even expecting it. You are so ready for this marathon.

Btw, I think Starship Troopers is a VERY romantic movie. :) Nothing that makes me feel more in love than splattering bug gore. LOL! Seriously though, it's a B-movie classic. Mark and I both love it; I bought it for him as an anniversary present a few years ago.

Debbie said...

Way to go on the 5k!!! That's awesome - hope you had a great thanksgiving!

jahowie said...

Wow!!! Great run!! You are so fast. Makes me sick!! LOL

Gotta Run..... said...

10 years is a super wonderful thing to celebrate!!! Very sweet!

I just realized after reading your 5k report that I have never did a warm up before a race. Interesting!! You totally rocked it!!

Congrats!

Marathon Maritza said...

I agree with the 'you're fast-it makes me sick' comment. ;-)

And Starship Troopers!!!!!!!! You guys are adorable. Please have babies soon so I can babysit!!

Glad you had a good thanksgiving and a kick-ass race!!! You rock!