Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pfitz Week 10: Semi-Taper underway

So it's three weeks to race day, but Pfitz has this week listed under "Race Preparation" with a hard interval workout and a pretty long run, but the miles are coming down slightly. Real taper begins next week.

Monday 5.0 miles/44:17/8:51 average pace

Easy run in the morning with Zach. My legs were pretty stiff and sore but nothing too worrisome.

Tuesday 8.5 miles/1:14:01/8:42 average pace

Another interval workout- I wasn't as anxious about it but I was still really NOT looking forward to it. Lately my lower legs (shins and calves and ankles too) have been feeling really tight and sore and today was no different. I just have NO "spring" in my step, and I feel really inflexible and uncomfortable. I hobbled through the first couple of miles to warm up and still wasn't feeling great but decided to get it over with. Zach was with me again today, this time on his bike and that really helped motivate me. I did 4 1/2 mile repeats with 1/4 mile recoveries and was very surprised at my speed!

I 3:18 (6:36 pace)

II 3:27 (6:54 pace)

III 3:20 (6:40 pace)

IV 3:20 (6:40 pace)

Actually once I got going I felt allright, but as soon as the intervals were over my legs felt even worse than before. I hobbled home and then stretched out really good and stuck my lower legs in the ice bucket for a while too. I will repeat the stretch and ice tonight. I am not too worried since I'm pretty prone to shin pain, and I know it tends to "spread" to my calves and ankles, but it's really just stupid shin splints or whatever. I shall deal with it!

Oh ya, rest of the week:

Wednesday: rest/cross training

Thursday: 4 miles easy + Strides

Friday: 10 miles Goal Pace (Pfitz has tune up race scheduled, but I'm subbing a goal pace run)

Saturday: 16 miles Long

Sunday: rest/cross training

TOTAL miles scheduled: 43

Tomorrow Zach and I are going to LA - I have to go for work and he gets to come with, yay! We'll go to my favorite dinner spot on Pier Ave in Hermosa Beach and go run along The Strand, all my usual LA stuff. :) I'll get some pics and post them when I return. Have a great week everyone and thank you so much for all the comments on my awesome 20 miler! :)

7 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

I am a little late but you ROCKED your 20 miler. GREAT JOB GIRL!!!

Ice can be your friend. Glad to see that you are smart and know what to do.

Enjoy your travels.

Zach said...

Looking forward to seeing all the spots you are always talking about when you go to LA. Great job on the run today too - it didn't seem too hard - but then again I was coasting on my bike :)

Mir said...

I'm sorry to hear about the persistent shin/calf soreness/pain. It sounds like you are doing the right thing with the icing and stretching, but if it stays this bad, it might be worth it to take an extra day or two of recovery. I hope it gets better soon...and have fun in LA!!

GB said...

Jen, you were blazing w/ those 800s! Good for you! You're ready to rock the CIM. Can't wait!!!

Ewen said...

The 800s were good. Looks like you eased off a bit too much with the second one. Good speed though.

Friday/Saturday is a tough double. 10 miles at goal pace (and not in a race) will need a bit of psyching.

I hope the breeze blows the smog away for you in LA ;)

TJ said...

sounds like you are on your way to a rockin race. enjoy the upcoming taper.

jahowie said...

Nice job on the intervals!! Enjoy the taper and have a great weekend!!