Wednesday, October 18, 2006

VO2 Intervals (Or, How I remembered why I like running distance)

Tuesday 10.0 miles/1:28:30/8:51 average pace

The intervals were a LOT more difficult than I predicted. The intervals are supposed to be about 5k pace, which I now remember hurts like a sonofabitch. I totally understand the benefit of pushing myself like that, it had to do some good, but dear lord it was hard. My legs were like lead after the first interval, I could hardly breathe, and my stomach was in a knot. How fun for me.

The schedule said 5 x 1000 meters, but since the pretty new track was locked up (I think we broke in last time), I had to do it on this other dirt track that looped the baseball fields at the high school. Since I couldn't use the track, I decided to do 3/4 mile repeats and just use my GPS. Also, I decided to do 4 instead of 5 since they would be longer intervals. In between I did 1/4 mile recovery jogs (ha ha, more like recovery bend-over-and-heaves. Just kidding... sort of.). I also ran a few miles before and after to get to the 10 miles I needed.

For my goal pace, I tried to use my actual 5k pace of about 7:15. However, I forgot that this was at a RACE, where I was excited and rested and surrounded by people running their guts out. I think 7:30 is more reasonable, which is what I ended up running.

Here's the breakdown:

2.75 mi warm up - 25:13 (9:09 pace)

.75 mi Interval I - 5:36 (7:30 pace)

.25 mi recovery interval - 2:18 (9:19 pace)

.75 mi Interval II - 5:09 (6:51 pace)

.25 mi recovery interval - 2:38 (10:45 pace)

.75 mi Interval III - 5:35 (7:29 pace)

.25 mi recovery interval - 2:44 (10:53 pace)

.50 mi Interval IV - 3:52 (7:46 pace)

3.75 mi cool down - 35:28 (9:28 pace)

I had to cut the last interval short due to a bad side cramp. Also I felt like I was going to die. The "cool down" was a little painful too. I think I was dehydrated or something because when I was finally home I felt really dizzy and woozy. After about a gallon of gatorade and some stretching I felt much better.

I have 4 more of these workouts left in the schedule, and I hope they get a little easier. I know I will really benefit from them, not only physically but also mentally. Pushing through that last interval, when every cell in your body is screaming for you to stop, is kinda like the final miles of the marathon.

The other benefit of these intervals is that they make Tempo pace seem easy, and goal marathon pace downright leisurely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on those intervals. I hate speed work.
I have been known to do some breaking and entering to get into the track. I haven't gotten arrested yet. :)

Marathon Maritza said...

I like how your "cool-down" pace is faster than my marathon goal pace, you bastard.

And by "you bastard" I mean, "I'm insanely jealous of your running mojo and feel inadequate by my lack thereof, so now I'll eat a whole package of cookies, thankyouverymuch."

:)

Great job, my hero.

jen said...

michele- I am such a wuss when it comes to getting caught... you rebel!! :P

maritza- I'm honored to be your bastard. :)