Friday, March 02, 2007

Finally some outdoor running, plus weights and a bonus swim

Thursday 8.0 miles/1:10:06/8:46 average pace

I ran after work in the great outdoors! It was cool- about 50- but only a few clouds which made for a beautiful sunset.

The scheduled said "Marathon Pace" but I admit I've been kind of ignoring that order. I don't really have a marathon pace set, so the run is basically a General Aerobic run, which to me means "however I feel." Turns out, I felt really good! I didn't run particularly fast, but I was consistant, and the pace felt EASY. Easy!!! Hooray!

1- 8:58
2- 8:49
3- 8:51
4- 9:03
5- 8:54
6- 8:54
7- 8:33
8- 8:00

While I ran, I listened to a podcast called Get Your Geek On which was about triathlons, and this particular episode was for Newbie triathletes. I got a lot of good info! I'm going to check out a few other triathlon podcasts too, but this one was pretty entertaining.

I finished my run up at the gym, where Zach was waiting for me, and we hit the weight room for about an hour of upper body weights. It was fun, I felt strong. I think it was a benifit to start the workout right away, as opposed to Tuesday where I had about 20+ minutes between finishing the run and getting to the gym. That's just enough time for the energy to drain from my body.

I went to bed pretty early last night and was motivated to get to the gym this morning for a bonus swim. :) I've been wanting to check out the morning pool scene, but like I suspected, swimmers are an early-bird kind of group and the pool was packed. I had no problem sharing a lane though and had a great swim. I did 15 laps = 750 m in 25 minutes and felt great. :) I've swum 2750 meters this week! Did I use swum correctly?

This weekend will include: 16 mile long run (partially with Zach), swimming, a night out at the Bubble Lounge for my friend's birthday, and some shopping. Just about perfect.

6 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

Swimming at my gym starts at 6:00am.....yuke!!!

Faithful Soles said...

I enjoyed your blog, and let me congratulate you on your Boston Marathon qualification. I do not know if it will be your first Boston, but if it is, you are in for the experience of a lifetime. Just enjoy it, the hard part was qualifying to get there. If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles (be sure while you are there to read The Greatest Marathoner, a true story about an event I witnessed at the 2000 Boston Marathon which will really inspire you in your marathon training). I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I look forward to following up and reading your blog to see how Boston goes for you. Again, major congratulations.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

You are starting to sound more and more like a triathlete. Watch out, those things are addictive! Is there one on your calendar yet??

Great job with the workouts!

Milotis said...

Nice work on the early morning swim! I think it's swam - swum is the past participle of swim, swam is the past tense. Anyway - good work on the swimming - hard to believe you were gasping for air a month ago :-O

Fran said...

Good job with the run. I've swum. I swam. I did swim. It's all basically the same. But I didn't major in english so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Bob Gentile said...

ya I believe it is Swam but SWUM is a FUNNER word...(hehe funner)

Good job either way :-)